The Côte d’Azur is one of the most requested destination. Whether it is the Glamour of the French Riviera or the charms of the countryside.
The Côte d’Azur is a wide area stretching from East Marseille (Cassis) to Menton and has 4 airports. Each of them has its own characteristics, the purpose of this article is to be able to help you determine what is your best option to reach your final destination by private jet.
What are the airports on the Côte d’Azur?
It is the third airport in France in global passenger volume and the second in business aviation (In France as well as in Europe right after Paris Le Bourget, but before Geneva airport). The airport is built on an areathat has been won over the sea, in the west side of the center of Nice. It concentrates almost all the regular air traffic, as well as a large part of the traffic of private flights in the area.
Although Nice Côte d’AzurAirport maintains a high volume of flights throughout the year, we highlight some traffic peaks:
- During the summer months due its great attraction for tourists coming from all over the world and thanks to its Mediterranean climate.
- During the great sports and cultural events like: the Cannes International Festival, the Monte Carlo Tennis Tournament and of course the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco. These events attract a large group of Sponsors, celebrities and Vips from all over the world.
Advantages of flying to Nice-Cote d’Azur:
- The airport is H24, i.e. it is open both day and night.
- It has an important space available to park airplanes.
- They can operate all kinds of aircraft, there is no limitation.
- It is the airport for Monaco.
The airport of Nice Côte d’Azur does not have many disadvantage. The only disadvantage would be that it is far away from some points of interest on the coast like Saint Tropez. Due to the heavy traffic a journey of 30 km would take longer than expected. It can take up to 1h30 to reach Monaco for example and more than 2 hours for Saint Tropez. This situation explains the high demand for the use of helicopters and secondary airports.
Example of prices to fly private from and To Nice:
- Ibiza Nice > 5,500 euros with a Citation Mustang equipped with 4 seats
- Nice- Frankfurt > 8,500 euros with a citation jet 1 equipped with 5 seats
- Nice- London > 9,600 euros with a premier 1 equipped with 6 seats
these are only examples of flight we have operated on a certain date with a concrete availability. Do not hesitate to contact us to obtain a real offer based on your own request.
2. Toulon-Hyère Airport:
It is the second commercial airport on the Cote d’Azur: its half a million passengers per year puts it a long way from Nice’s 14 million. The airport has the peculiarity of being a military base: its use is mixed.
- Allows you to reach the east of the coast between Toulon and Saint Tropez (less road transfer time than from Nice)
- Access to the plane is very fast as it is a smaller airport.
- This airport is quite restrictive operationally speaking: it is not H24, It only opens in the morning and closes at the end of the day.
- It is sometimes difficult to obtain short-term flight authorizations (less than 24h). The airport address usually requests a minimum of 24-48h deadline before you can fly.
3.Cannes -Mandelieu Airport:
Small airport located 5km from Cannes, allows you to reach the cities of Antibes, Fréjus and Cannes of course.
There is a strong interest in flying to Cannes directly during the Cannes International Festival. Also, the airport is used as a parking place for private jets during the Monaco Grand Prix (Nice airport gets so full that any available free space is a good option)
The great disadvantage of Cannes Airport is that it is a Visual airport and that closes at night. In case of poor visibility, having to fly at night or if you have to operate with an aircraft whose weight exceeds 35 Tons, you have to go to Nice. A Falcon 8X can operate in Cannes while a Global 5000 or 6000 although they belong to the same jet category (ultra-long range) will have to go to Nice.
4. La Môle Airport:
Located 15 km south west of Saint Tropez, the airport of La Môle is very restrictive. It is open only day time and has a very short runway that limits operations for public transport.
It can be safely reached by Helicopter or turboprop aircraft whose technical characteristics allows them to operate in short runways.
The helicopter is the transport king in this region. If there is an area in Europe where the helicopter is the most popular transport is in the Côte d’Azur. Road traffic is heavy and busy, any journey of 20-30 km can take at least 1 hour (even longer in case of a car accident).
- Nice Airport has a Helipad just a few minutes from the corporate and commercial aviation terminal. We arrange transfers to the helicopter from your commercial flight or your private plane. There is a regular flight between Nice and Monaco almost all year round, and flight between Nice and Cannes only during the Cannes film festival.
- Cannes has several operating areas for helicopters. We have a chauffeur at your disposal that will take you to your hotel.
- Saint-Tropez also has 3 or 4 helipads close to the center. We offer you a chauffeur that will take you to your final destination.
- Monaco also has several Helipads throughout the city.
The great advantage of using helicopters is to be able to fly without a confirmed slot as it is visual flight. A helicopter transfer usually requires less preparation time, it is very flexible also in the landing spots. We have landed in a house garden so our customer could visit his future property.
The two major disadvantages are:
- The little space that helicopters usually have for luggage. When our client has there a lot of luggage we usually organize the transfer by road.
- Helicopters in Europe usually operate only in the daytime.
Example of helicopter prices:
- Saint Tropez – Nice => 1,400 euros with an Airbus H130
- Albenga -Nice => 2,650 euros with an Airbus H130
There are numerous helicopters operators in this area, Eurosky will be able to advise you regarding the best option to cover your needs.
One of the best combinations when travelling to the Cote d’Azur is to fly with a private jet to Nice and then use a helicopter transfer to your destination. This minimizes waiting times and optimizes our logistic expertise.
For any questions about your next trip to Côte d’Azur, do not hesitate to contact our commercial department.